Sunday 24 April 2016

The Short Sunday


This Sunday's review is

Sovereign by C.J. Sansom




To my shame, I have to throw my hands up and admit, I have never read a C.J. Sansom novel until this last week.

His novel Sovereign is the third book in a series about a lawyer, Matthew Shardlake, set in the reign of King Henry the eighth.

At first, I found the writing style a little tiresome, but when you realise (me) that as the book is written from the point of view of a main character, living in Tudor times, then the style is not only wholly appropriate, but is essential.

Having got over the writing style by the end of the first chapter, it was easy for me to become immersed in the book. It's a fabulous read. My only regret, I read book 3, before I read, books 1 and 2.

C.J. Sansom draws you into the world of the 16th century. As I read the pages, I walked beside Matthew Shardlake, smelt the same smells as him, saw the world through his eyes, and felt the same political terror that the reign of Henry Tudor inflicted on his subjects.

The plot was intriguing without being over complex, with several twists and turns. I did however, guess 'whodunnit' before I reached the final chapter, but only in the penultimate one – still it didn't take away any of the enjoyment I got from reading the novel as a whole.

A well deserved – highly recommended. 



Published by Pan Macmillan



thanks for reading this post...and if you enjoy my articles – please share them --


The Riotous Writer









My latest novel – a wickedly naughty satire about the sexual infidelity, of the amoral rich.







More of my books – through my American publisher.


The Warlock's Woman




When a boy ghost meets a girl human in a hot-tub. Romance - Yes. Sex - Definitely.



UK Link 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warlocks-Woman-Josephine-Sanchez-Vanner-ebook/dp/B00ASQELNI











Half Blood



Vampires - not the undead - aliens from another galaxy. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment